Saturday, September 24, 2005

Clutter


Clutter makes me crazy! You know the old saying “cleanliness is next to godliness” – I’m not sure that the expression has any meaning to me other than to say that clutter is a pain in my ass. I think that clutter is a sign of having an unfair share of stuff that doesn’t hold as much value any longer. Think about the things that are cluttering your shelves and drawers – books, music, bills, and papers. Sure, some of them have sentimental value and may be used at some point in the future (i.e. in the event of a lawsuit from an ex), but do we really need to hold on to so much of the stuff we have? Shouldn’t we purge every now and then and give some of those less important things to someone who will appreciate them? I have a tendency to fluctuate between hobbies and interests. I admit - it is a problem – I cannot commit to those types of interests, and yet I can commit to a relationship and job. I suppose I feel that we have one shot in life to try various things and we should find out what we like and don’t by trying them out. This, however, results in the problem of clutter. I have a bike that I “had to have” that sits in a small closet unused, I have books on the shelves that I have read and never intend to read again, and I have shirts hanging in my closet that should never be worn by anyone with a sense of style again (is it wrong to donate those to the poor?). I intend to spend a portion of my day removing some of the clutter that makes me crazy and think about who I can pass it along to that will better use and enjoy it. Anyone need an extra Bible?

1 Comments:

Blogger cube said...

I just can't bring myself to throw away stuff. Packrats are like that.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home